Monday, April 30, 2012

Timeless Melodies: Music to my ears

It has been a long time since I was contemplating to make a list of my favorite hindi songs. Now if you are a fan of new one's then  chances are that you'll be disappointed nevertheless give it a look and who knows you might like it..:)). It's not that I do not enjoy new numbers, no, in fact some are quite good but this post is exclusively dedicated to those, sung by Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar. It was no piece of cake deciding on the songs as my favorites are far too many to count on fingers.

But I am often caught stumbling when asked about my favorite song. The thing is, as I said before, there isn't just one song that I love to hear but actually quite a few and it depends on the mood which one would I prefer. Having said that here comes the reason to bring forth this post.  Consider it as a tribute to that era, to those musicians, lyricists, and singers who came up with such beautiful renditions that even after decades they are still alive in our memory.

1. Jeewan se bhari teri aankhein  Safar, 1970: This is one song that tops my favorite playlist. The brilliant music and the charged voice of Kishore Kumar, who would not fall for this masterpiece. It just keeps me enthralled till the end. The lyrics by Indeevar and music by Kalyaan ji anandji makes it one evergreen composition.


2. Tere bina jiya jaaye na  Ghar, 1978:  Oh! how I remember Rekha whenever I listen to this piece. Normally the songs are known for the voice but here I think Rekha's subtle expressions have outshone everything else. So much want to go back to the time of big block printed saris and big bindis. Sung by the nightingale of India 'Lata Mangeshkar' and again our Kishore Kumar, this song displays sensuousness in it's most elegant form. Written by Gulzaar and music by R.D Burman, the song does put you in a trance.


3. Mere Mehboob tujhe meri  Mere Mehboob, 1963: The most romantic song ever, that takes you into a dream world. I don't know how much I'm in love with this song for it's not just the voice but outstanding display of emotions by Rajendra Kumar. It never fails to give me a lump in my throat, especially the last stanza. The longing, the desire to see, to meet the person who you love! Uff! itna chotta sa dil aur kambakht itne emotions. Mohammad Rafi's voice literally give me the chills be it high pitch or low pitch and equally incredible is the music which is composed by Naushad and the lyrics penned by Shakil Badayuni. All in all an exceptional song taking you on a trip to Aligarh Muslim University.


4. Aap yun faaslon se Shankar Hussain, 1975:  I was introduced to this song by my husband and had instantly fallen in love with it. Have no clue why I never knew about this song despite being a regular listener of Vividh Bharti. This song deserves a very special place because it has something mystic thing about it, ethereal, completely exquisite though when I finally got to see it, was a tad disappointed by it's picturisation. Lata mangeshkar has sung it in her most vivacious voice so the picturisation could have been better. Written by Jan Nissar Akhtar father of Javed Akhtar and the music rendered by Khayyam...bliss to heart and soul.


5. Rimjhim gire sawaan  Manzil, 1979: This song does wonders whenever I listen to it. It just uplifts my mood and I feel myself slipping into those wonderful teenage days. At that time several songs rocked my world but this one really held a special place may be Lata's bubbly voice had to do something with it. Now over the years, I do not remember many of them but this song still pulls my heartstrings and stirs the passion the way it did back then. The best rain song ever shot! Music by Pancham and lyrics by Yogesh, you really do want to get soaked in the rain. It has that effect!


6. Kahin ek masoom Shankar Husssain, 1975: The soft and sensuous voice of seasoned singer Mohammad Rafi that leaves you restless and evokes myriad of emotions, this song is that magical. Excellent words by Kamaal Amrohi and a music to die for by Khayyam. What else do we get out of the trio of Rafi-Khyaam-Amrohi! Pure magic. Love the following lines where Kanwaljeet dreams about his love's ecstasy, restlessness and dilemma!  

 चलो खत लिखें जी में आता तो होगा
मगऱ उगलियां कंपकपाती तो होंगी
कलम हाथ से छूट जाता तो होगा
ऊमंगे कलम फिर उठाती तो होगी
मेरा नाम अपनी किताबों में लिखकर
वो दांतो में उंगली दबाती तो होगी
These words too surreal, too hypnotic!


7. Pal bhar ke liye  Prem pujaari, 1970: My list would have been incomplete without this song for this is one number that is so playful, lively and so so entertaining. The ever handsome Devanand and the dream girl Hemamalini jodi is such  a treat to watch. Music by kalyanji anandji and lyrics by Indeevar, it makes me stop doing my chores and I just let the addictive voice of Kishore Kumar take over.


8. Ae mere pyare vatan Kabulivala, 1961: Now this song is one of those which gives me goosebumps literally. If there is any one patriotic song apart from 'ae mere vatan ke logon' that makes my eyes brim with tears, then this is the one. Well, Manoj Kumar's 'Hai preet jahan ki reet sada' also is one magnificent number that falls in this league. A song that describes the feelings and emotions of a man who is faraway from his homeland. Manna Dey's voice has taken this song to another level, such a soulful singing!. The various intonations that he has taken in this song are just awesome. The Music by Salil Chaudhry and words by Prem Dhawan. Read these lines and you'll get the feel!
छोड़ कर तेरी ज़मीं को दूर आ पहुंचे हैं हम
फिर भी है येही तमन्ना तेरे जर्रों की कसम
हम जहां पैदा हुये उस जगह ही निकले दम
तुझ पे दिल कुर्बान

9. Ehsaan tera hoga mujh par Junglee, 1961:  Mohammad Rafi and Shammi kapoor together have weaved a magic here. For once, I loved Shammi Kapoor's non hysterical acting. Look at his expressions, topped with Rafi's high pitched voice, Shailendra and Hasrat Jaipuri's superb lyrics and Shankar Jaikishan's awesome music. The result: Pure magic! Love the place where he lip synch's 'udd udd ke kahegi khaak sanam, ye dard-e-mohabbat sahne do' and blinks his eyes and tilts his head. Hai! Only Shammi Kapoor could do this  Isn't it beautiful! I've always liked Mohammad Rafi and Shammi Kapoor's combination. It's lethal and intoxicating. Once you start listening to their number's there's no looking back. Also this was Saira's debut film which got her first Filmfare award!


10. Lag ja gale, Woh kaun thi, 1964: Ah! what a tough job it is to pick just 10 pearls from an ocean full of them. Which one to pick and which to leave? Little confused I was between 'Voh jab yaad aaye' and 'lag jaa gale' but then finally decided on Lata Mangeshkar. This is one killer song where Sadhana tries to allure Manoj kumar. Well, enough has been said about Lata's voice everywhere, I've nothing new to say but yes, I don't think that Lata's voice is replaceable by any female playback singer in any generation. It is timeless!

2 comments:

  1. WOW Manisha, the blog is huge in connecting and enriching! Didn't know you were up to this! Will keep commenting as I read more. For the 'Timeless Melodies' part; great choices, your first is my first for sure, no. 5 is the best saawan score, no. 6 is new to me, but liked it, and can never miss Shammi Kapoor's stare in no. 9 (par kehna padega, itna expressive hero, aur gaane mein Saira bhaav hi khaaye ja rahi hai, main rahoon to KHUD hi kahoon, "udd udd ke kahegi khaak sanam, ye dard-e-mohabbat sehne do!!!"). I am sure my 2 other selected ones (not in your list) among the gigantic pool of favorites must top your charts too. "Chandan sa badan": Nutan's guileless smile and whole romantic charm of this 1968 musical treasure is matchless, this one doesn't depend on your mood, instead works your mood! And the other one is best ever Rafi saheb's original "Chaudhavi ka chaand ho": Guru Dutt's, just won a lottery look (which he does in the movie), with Wahida's appeal, and the love in their eyes, this song is among the ultimates in realizing romantic selves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anu, thanks thanks and thanks! Just love your words. Keep writing my friend.

      Delete